Sunday 2 December 2012

Merlin: Series 5 - With All My Heart

This was a good episode, where Gwen was fixed!
It was a really good story, with a nice mix of humour and drama.  I'm glad to see that Gwen's recent evil activity has now been explained as being down to powerful magic from the Old Religion that causes the victim's soul to be replaced by the demands of their master. Then I really liked the bit between Arthur and Gwen, where only the line 'With all my heart' is able to bring back some of the old Gwen and allow her to be cured. I also thought it was done in such a simple and effective way.

I thought that Merlin in drag as the Old Woman worked as a humourous tool and I supposed was used because of how serious the upcoming episodes will be. Furthermore, this I suppose helped to show the Merlin of previous series, compared to that of him as the Old Man Merlin threatening and actually injuring the Dochraid, which I wasn't that sure of really. But I did like the bit where Gaius and Merlin have to smuggle Gwen out of Camelot and it was good to see Richard Wilson providing a lot of the humour.

As we near the end of the series, Mordred came more involved and showed a strong sense of loyalty towards Arthur, which is a very contrasting image to that of him killing Arthur in Merlin flash forward. Also Morgana appears to be starting to lose control and it'll be interesting to how her and Mordred's alliance is meant to emerge.

Credit goes to Angel Coulby and Bradley James for their strong performances and Colin Morgan brings out a very good comical effect in his. Maureen Carr also gives a good performance as evil Dochraid.

2 comments:

  1. couldn't disagree with you more, the comedy was entirely forced and unneeded and the bit where Merlin was threatening the Dochraid was the best bit of the episode and completely within character for him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it's because I've got Merlin from Series 2 in my mind at the moment and that is a big change.

      Delete