Sunday 7 October 2012

Homefront: Series 1 - Episode 1

This is an interesting military drama, where the perspective of military wives and girlfriends take centre stage.
The opening episode deals with the death of a soldier, Private Matthew Raveley, and how his wife Tasha and family cope with what has happened. I thought it was good how the different reactions to grief were shown and I liked it when Tasha initially refused to attend the funeral because it was more about and for the army then her, which can be understandable and an interesting perspective. But then when she did arrive at the church, I thought the this made the funeral seem very human and emotional.

Also I think the interweaving of the other storylines and characters helped to break up the episode and give it a steady pace. I think Claire Skinner's character, Claire Marshbrook, who is a major's new girlfriend, is an interesting way of representing the audience's view as she has to get use to the politics and procedure that exists even among the families.

I thought all the cast were good, especially Antonia Thomas as Tasha and Chris Reilly as the grieving brother Tom. I'm looking forward to seeing how the other storylines will development as they develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment