Sunday 9 September 2012

The Thick Of It: Series 4 - Episode 1

This was a great return for this series, now dealing with the atmosphere of the coalition government.
The episode's situation was very plausible and I thought the script sounded great. The political language isn't forced upon you but used as a good comical element. I also think that having bits of improvisation involved helps to create a more natural and believable realism. This is also helped by the fly-on-the-wall style of the series and can provide a human perspective to the political figures that may be sometimes seen by the public as monsters.

I thought all the cast were good, but especially Roger Allam as Peter Mannion. His scene in the school was really good and I could feel the character's pain. I also think that keeping back the main characters of Malcolm Tucker, Nicola Murray and Ollie Reeder until the second episode allowed for me to get to know the other characters and I'm left wondering where they are.

This was a great opener and I'm looking forward to the rest of series.

No comments:

Post a Comment