Friday 7 September 2012

Thirteen Steps Down

This was a thrilling watch.
Based on the novel, of the same name, by Ruth Rendell, and focuses on the dangerous obsessions of Mix Cellini on the real-life serial killer John Christie and fictional model Nerissa Nash, that leads to murder.

Portrayed by Luke Treadaway, I think Mix is not meant to be likable character but instead I hoped that the other characters aren't caught in the crossfire. I think Treadaway gave a good performance showing the deterioration of Mix's mental state and effectively displayed the split personality that Mix appeared to have.

It was very much a psychological thriller, will Mix's delusions being the central focal point. It was interesting to see how Mix's reacted to events that take place and how he fulls believes in him having a relationship with Nerissa, which is reinforced by Treadaway's strong performance. I also have give praise to Elarica Gallacher as Nash and Geraldine James as Mix's elderly landlady Gwendolen.

One thing I wasn't sure about was how the relationship of Mix and Gwendolen came to be and how coincidental it was for her to have had meet Christie, unless Mix had known this.

Anyway, I thought this was a tense and interesting drama that kept me guessing how it would climax.

No comments:

Post a Comment